In her second driving lesson, Kaillah learns the secrets to passing her driver's test.
Kaillah's Second Smart Driving Lesson With Instructor
- Kayla's second driving lesson focused on highway driving, because there is a possibility during your test, you could end up on the highway as part of the route.
As well, we worked on other skills and abilities for her to be ready for her test in a couple of days.
Stick around, we'll be right back with that information.
Two Way STOP Signed Intersections
Thinking a lot about two-way stops.
- And I asked a friend of mine.
He's a driving instructor in Ontario.
- You got to do the same thing you just did there.
So you stop at the correct position.
And then you do the same thing as if you're coming out of that driveway there.
- Oh, I see.
- I guess it's, I guess it's a little confusing.
Cause it stopped and you stopped and then you think you can go, right?
- Certainly when you can see, right?
- So I can see, you know, now that I kind of figured out that it's not just, and it's not just you that's having that issue, it's other people that I've worked with too.
I can see how it's confusing when I look at it.
Try and look at it from your perspective.
- So, yeah.
So just think of it coming in your driveway.
After you come to a complete stop, then you're going to do the same thing that you would come into your driveway to sneak forward until you can see.
And then you, when you're, when your gaps there, then you can go.
- At a four-way stop, is always going to have that little white thing underneath it.
That's going to say four way stop.
If it doesn't have that little white piece underneath it, It's always going to be a two way stop.
And the cross traffic isn't going to stop for you.
You have to wait for a gap and then go.
- So basically three way, four way stop are the same right? And all the way stop?
- Say it again.
- Three way and four way stop are basically the same.
Three way, four way all way.
They're all the same rules.
So you basically just stop.
You make sure that all the other cars are stopped and then you can go but in a two-way, it's the same as your driveway.
The Vehicle Isn’t Moving Up
What's happening here?
- I'm not really sure what this person is doing in front of us.
Yeah, they do stopped on the side.
I mean, I understand they're not, they don't want to block the intersection would been really nice if they moved ahead.
So see that little white-
- Just going straight through?
- Yeah, we're going straight through.
4-Way STOP Signed Intersection
See the little white four way?
- It'll always have that if it's a four way or an all way or three way.
If it doesn't have that, then it's, then it's a two way.
- You don't have to
- Oh, okay.
- On four ways, you don't have to.
You just got to make sure they're stopped and then you can proceed.
Only on two ways, you have to do that.
Move Back to The Right After Turning Left
- As soon as you get into the left lane, move to the right immediately
- Right signal.
- Right? Sorry.
- Yeah move over.
- Oh okay We're going to turn right.
- Oh, my bad.
- That's why I told you to move over.
Remember as soon as you turn left, it's okay.
So as soon as you turn left, you got to move over to the right lane.
- Right lane?
So you turn left into the left lane, right?
- And then you got to change lanes to the right lane.
Cause you got to drive in the right lane unless they tell you to turn left in a couple of blocks, you got to get over to that lane.
It's kind of confuse me because there's four lanes.
And there's a very high probability that they'll bring you down here to this intersection.
- This video is made possible by the course package Pass Your Driver's Test First Time, because we know that your driver's test is the most stressful day of your life.
And without some form of driver training, your chances of passing are less than 50%.
As a bonus, we'll include both the defensive and winter driving smart courses.
These will make you a safer, smarter driver and reduce your chances of being involved in an accident.
Click down in the description there and get full details.
Where to Stop for Left Turn
- In case like this, do I just stop here or?
- So only just that first car that can go there.
- You can see the lights gone yellow and they're going to have to go and you're going to stay here.
You're in that, you did that perfectly
- For example on my road test, like, what if I was the first car?
Could I turn?
If you were the first car you would do what that car did, you go up and put your front steer tires on that front line?
- And then you wait and if, if the light goes yellow before you get a gap, you got to go on the yellow.
As soon as the light turns yellow, start driving straight forward.
Make sure that that traffic is coming to a stop when you're absolutely sure they're stopped.
Then turn quickly.
Automatic Fail - Too Slow on the Highway
Again, 10 kilometers an hour under the speed limit.
They are definitely going to assign you points.
- I'm too scared to over speed.
- You're, well you're doing under you're going, come on, let's do 90.
Aim your signal shoulder.
Check to the left.
We're going to change lanes to the left lane.
Don't slow down, don't slow down and you're doing 60 in a 90.
You just failed your driver's test.
Cause you're doing 30 under the speed limit,
- Just going straight to or?
- No, we're going to turn left.
- I'm not used to like driving in a highway.
Just in the city.
Your Job On a Driving Test
- Remember what I say about what your job is for the driving test, right? What's your job? Show that examiner that you have due care and control of the vehicle in changing traffic conditions.
And that means going uphill.
That means driving on the highway.
So they, they might bring you out there.
So we just, we got to, we got to work on that before today and tomorrow
- You got to get that into place.
Left Centre Turning Lane
And left at the next intersection.
So you have a left center turning lane.
So you have a turning lane in the center of the road.
Sorry are we turning here?
- Yes, yes.
We're turning here.
No up further at the intersection.
Left Centre Turning Lanes
That's a parking lot, but this is like, this is called a left center, turning lane.
It's in the center of a road and it's a turning lane.
- You're going to have to try and remember tomorrow when you're turning left, keep your hand on the outside of the steering wheel.
- Because you know, he or she will let you away with that one time.
And then after that, they're going to sign demerits every time you do it.
So remember the goal is to get as few demerits as you can.
So you pass, right?
Okay now this is a school zone back here.
Because the school is right there.
Left Turns & Painted Islands
- Okay definitely don't do that on your test.
- What that guy did.
- Uh, went over there.
- Oh, you can't get around there.
You got to wait until it comes up.
Now you could probably get in there.
That's why you're going to shoulder check.
What was the honking for?
Oh, because they're a dummy and they're pulled up beside you.
- I just want to like wrap this up.
I'm not going on the-
- You are sitting there with your signal on, so I don't know.
Just move up a little bit more.
So your front tires in the front crosswalk line.
Now you might have to go on yellow here.
- Yeah, go, go, go, go, go, go.
Rear the intersection.
- If like, what I just did.
I did that on my road test would I fail?
- Because I was already...
- You are already committed to the intersection.
You got to go, but you hesitated a little bit on the yellow.
- Uh huh.
- You were kind of like, I'm going to stay here when you can't stay there.
You got to go.
If the gap is coming in the gap and there's like the traffic's coming, you need to stay here.
Cause you're going to turn left over the next intersection.
- Oh, just stay here?
- Just stay here.
Um, if the cars are coming in, the cars are coming in.
The cars are coming in here.
There's no gap.
You're going to say to yourself, okay, I'm going to turn on the yellow.
And as soon as that light turns yellow, start driving straight into the intersection.
As soon as you know that the traffic has in fact stopped, then make your turn.
- Because when it's busy like that, you're not going to get a gap, right?
You're going to have to go on the yellow.
- This is what like scares me the most, like, when it's going to turn yellow and then I need to turn left on the intersection.
- Okay, just know you own the intersection, okay?
You own the intersection, so just do what, focus on what you need to do to get the vehicle around there safely.
How Kaillah Feels About Her Driving Test
- So how was that?
- It was all right.
I made a lot of mistakes.
Like I don't feel like pretty confident on a Friday.
- You're never going to feel a hundred percent confident.
So you just got to work on those mistakes, you know, if can you get some driving in between now and then that would be great.
And then you can work on that, right? Were you able to get out and do those exercises? I.
- Not really, because no one can really go with me.
- Because there's a few, there's a few things that you need to work on for, for Friday for sure.
- But you think like I can make it on Friday or should I just reschedule my test?
Because I don't really want to fail, especially when, you know, it's a lesson.
- Well, I mean, the other issue with that is, is how long is it going to be for you to get into the test?
It might be, it might be the fall-
- Exactly right.
- It's really hard.
Like I just got lucky to get the June 11, like on Friday and the next one is going to be like in December.
- Yeah, yeah.
On there, one sec.
Pass Your Driver’s Test Course Package
The thought of failing your driver's test is what keeps you up at night right now.
Click the link over here, check out the smarter driver course package that guarantees that you will pass your driver's test.
First time click the link and check that out and have a great day.
All the best.